Sunday, May 11, 2014

A Brief Update - Upcoming Pitch

This weekend has been incredibly hectic with the Michigan Youth Arts Festival at Western Michigan University, at which I learned much about the arts, but little about mandolin specifically, as apparently few of my peers have attempted to learn the instrument. I have been practicing the piece in preparation for the Pitch event on Tuesday of this week, although I'm unsure if I'll be able to perform it in its entirety. Bringing my picking speed up to the proper tempo has been the most difficult aspect of learning the piece so far, as the strings are all of the same elevation off the fingerboard due to the instrument's flat bridge unlike standard string instruments, which have curved bridges and varied string heights to facilitate bowing. This makes it a bit tricky to simply know where my hand is in relation to each string without looking and subsequently affects my precision. Development of my muscle memory should continue to come with practice and will hopefully make the notes sound a bit cleaner and easier to play.


I'll see you at the Pitch
Maybe.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed seeing you play at the pitch. You get lost in the music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm disappointed that I didn't get to hear you play at the pitch. I bet you did great! You should post some videos of you playing id love to watch them.

    ReplyDelete